Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Grandma's Potato Soup

My Grandma, Wilmetta, used to make this and when I was a teenager I asked her for the recipe. It was so simple, and even with my additions it's still simple. I think my Grandma made it to see her teenage grandkids ;-) We couldn't stay away if she was cooking. My own tradition is to make it at the first snow and, of course, any time I think of my Grandma.

Now that I know it's so light on points, I'll be making it more often!

Weight Watchers PointsPlus--4pts/1 cup serving
(Points for each ingredient in parenthesis below)

3 lbs potatoes, 48 oz, chopped into 1/2" cubes (24)
4 cups milk, I use goat milk (16)
32 oz box of chicken stock, or 32 oz of water (0)
10 celery stalks, thinly sliced (0)
1-2 T garlic, minced (0)
1 onion, chopped (0)
1 T salt (0)
4 t pepper (0)
4 oz finely shredded cheese (I use a sheep cheese called Lamb Chopper) (12)
1/4 cup gluten free flour (Currently I use Pamela's or King Arthur) (4)
3 T of the bacon grease (12)

Total points value of potato soup without the bacon on top=68 points. This recipe makes 16 cups. 68 divided by 16 is 4.25 points. 4 points/1 cup serving.

8 slices bacon (12) (For why this isn't added to the above points, read bottom of recipe.)

Pour the chicken stock into a small stockpot. Peel and chop potatoes and put in pot and bring to boil. Turn down to a slow boil and cook for 15 minutes. (Do NOT drain when done!)

Thinly slice the celery, set aside in bowl. Chop the onion, set aside. Mince garlic, set aside.

In a large stockpot on medium high heat fry the bacon however you'd like--I like to chop it up and fry it. It seems to take less time and I don't have to try to crumble it afterwards. Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel. Leave 3 T of the bacon grease in the pan.

On medium high heat saute celery and onion in the 3 T bacon grease, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Lower heat to medium and pour in the 4 cups of milk. Stir occasionally until the mixture begins to simmer.

Add potatoes with the stock they cooked in, just pour the whole stockpot into the larger pot.

Finely shred the 4 oz of cheese.

Put gluten free flour into a jar with a screw top or a small rubbermaid container. Add about a 1/2 cup to a cup of HOT water and shake until no lumps are left. Slowly pour into potato soup and stir until incorporated.

Add shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Stir, stir, stir so nothing sticks to bottom and cheese melts into soup. Turn down to low. Make a salad :-)  I add this because it's something I'm trying to remember myself! Make some toast or warm some bread--I like the crunch of toast with soup.

I make this for my family of four so I divide the bacon crumbles into four piles and sprinkle it on top. I don't like to add the bacon to the soup because it gets squishy in the leftovers. Depending on how many people you are serving, you may want to make more bacon or just use it as a garnish instead. In my recipe it's 2 slices of bacon per person=2 points each.

No comments:

Post a Comment