Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Shepherd's Pie-5 Star

3/24/10 UPDATE: I made this a few nights ago and used a small beef chuck roast cut up into bite sized chunks. I let them simmer with the onions and a box of beef broth until almost tender then added everything else. I also included several chopped carrots. Because the filling was more like a stew I didn't make this in a 9x13 pan. Instead I spread the mashed potatoes in the pan and broiled them to brown their tops. Then I spooned the stew into a bowl and topped with some potatoes--perfect. I thought it was even better than the ground beef version.

* 5 Star Shepherd's Pie
* cane sugar free, dairy free, egg free, fish/shellfish free, gluten free, milk free, nut free, soy free, vegan, wheat free, yeast free
* Common allergens: none

I made this tonight and as always, it was yummy. The original recipe came from Everyday Food Magazine but I have modified it to be allergen free. I had leftover mashed potatoes from last night's dinner and used those. To make them easier to spread on top of the filling, heat them up for a few minutes.

Serves 4

Filling:

1 lb ground beef or bison
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons gluten free ketchup (this has cane sugar in it)
1 tablespoon gluten free all-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 box (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (no need to thaw) I often use what I have, peas or corn, or both
Coarse salt and ground pepper

3 cups Mashed Potatoes:

3 lbs of your favorite potato (I often use Yukon or Russet)
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk of your choice (goat, rice, cashew, etc--I used half and half goat/rice)
1/4 stick of butter of your choice (goat, Earth Balance, etc)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 ounces grated cheese of your choice (goat cheddar, soy cheese, etc) (optional-I use goat cheese)
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives or scallions (optional-I use chives either)

Directions:

Peel potatoes and chop into same size pieces, about 2"x2". Place in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, lower to simmer and set timer for 15 minutes for Yukon and 20 minutes for Russet.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat a large (4-5 qt) heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Cook beef, breaking up meat with spatula, until no longer pink, 5 minutes. While it's cooking chop onion and garlic.


Add onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add thyme, ketchup, and flour; stir until combined. Add 1/2 cup water and vegetables. Cook until vegetables are warmed through and liquid has thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Drain potatoes and add 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 stick butter, onion powder, salt, pepper, and optional cheese and chives/scallions. Use and electric hand mixer to whip the potatoes. Pour in the extra 1/4 cup of milk as needed until you like the consistency. Dip a spoon in, sprinkle with salt, and have a bite--it's the best part ;-)

Spoon beef mixture into a 2 quart baking dish. Spread potatoes evenly over beef; using a fork, decorate potatoes with lines and peaks. Place dish on a rimmed baking sheet to catch spill over, and bake until potatoes are lightly browned, 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment